Join a Count
Members of the Audubon Society of Omaha are invited to participate in numerous bird counts each year. Approximate dates are given below:
- Great Backyard Bird Count (mid February)
- DeSoto Counts (late April and late December)
- The Sarpy County Spring Bird Count (mid May)
- BioBlitz at Fontenelle Forest (June)
- Hitchcock Hawkwatch (September - December)
- Christmas Bird Count (mid December)
Upcoming Bird Count Information
To see upcoming bird count information, please visit the Events Calendar and filter using the "Bird Count" category.
Forty-seven people divided into 13 groups and counted birds around Omaha, Plattsmouth and Glenwood as part of the National Audubon Society event in its 118th year. Other counts are held across the state and country. The annual bird census in the Western Hemisphere is done by volunteer birdwatchers from Dec. 14 through Jan. 5. Information is sent to and compiled by the National Audubon Society.